What’s Data Protection?
Data protection is about safeguarding or encapsulating important information from corruption, loss or compromise and data duplication. Also it deals with both the integrity of the data, protection from corruption or errors and privacy of data. Due to this, these days organizations make sure that data is accessible to only those that have access privilege to it.
Why it’s important?
Any information which is digitally stored such as Financial information, payment details and contact information of your staff or team, needs to be protected. The importance of data protection increases as the amount of data stored and created continues to grow rapidly.
Why do we need it?
The need for data protection depends on how careful you are with your information. Loss of important data lowers overall productivity of an organization. Also Data loss results in application failures and similar system problems, so data protection is not just a legal necessity but it’s crucial to protecting and maintaining your business.
What about sensitive Information?
To better explain this, let’s understand the kind of information shared with all businesses/organizations. All Organizations and hired employees share information such as Personal details, Contact details, National Insurance number, qualifications details, work history, salary details, pay and conditions, training, ethnic background, political opinions, religious beliefs, health, sexual health and criminal record etc. Because, such information is very confidential to individuals, which is why, this becomes very important to take necessary actions to protect it.
Tips for protecting sensitive data
- Encrypt all confidential info. Keep sensitive information inaccessible from prying eyes.
- Use hard-to-guess passwords. Enforcing good password usage is key to stopping hackers crack into your systems.
- Also, Keep security software up to date. Update your software automatically, it’s a key to defending against the latest vulnerabilities and threats.
- Finally, Danger USB! Unauthorised use of USB storage devices could lead to data being lost from your company.
Cyber Cells – For Making Complaint to Commissioner officer in Data Protection
- Cyber Crime Cell Chandigarh Sector 17, Office phase 4 Mohali
- DSP Cyber Crime, S.A.S Nagar, Patiala
- CBI Cyber Crime Investigation Cell CGO Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi – 3
- Another one is, Cyber Crime Cell, Office of Commissioner, Near Crawford Market, Mumbai-01
The bottom line is, in case of doubt, ask senior persons in the organization and workplace about your responsibility for other person’s data. Also if you have concerns about your own data and you want to know how this data is being used, it’s worth investigating! Because, there are laws to protect you.
Apart from this, anyone who’s taking responsibility for collecting data of others must ensure the legislation set out in the Data Protection Act.